Coexistence between Exchange 2010 and 2013 is fairly new still; so a few bugs is to be expected. This is however a rather large one.
Credential prompts in Outlook (I’ve seen this in both 2010 and 2013) is usually an indicator of authentication/virtual directory configuration errors.
What I’ve seen a few times now is that if you have this scenario:
- User mailbox is on Exchange 2013
- User accesses resoruces (public folders or shared mailbox) on Exchange 2010
- Exchange uses single namespace
You will get a logon prompt in order to access the 2010 resources. And often it won’t even work. The mailbox works if you just cancel the logon prompt; but access to the resources is dead.
This is, as I suspected, a bug in Outlook:
For Outlook 2010, this issue is fixed in the June 11, 2013 hotfix package. For more information about obtaining the hotfix, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:2817371 Description of the Outlook 2010 hotfix package (Outlook-x-none.msp): June 11, 2013
I’ve yet to try this hotfix, but it will be worth a shot. If anyone gets a chance to try, drop me a line!
A workaround, which I have yet to try, is to abandon single namespace so External and InternalURI are separate. I will test and see how that goes.
I was able to resolve this by using different Authentication on internal and external. Used the command below:
Set-OutlookAnywhere -Identity $ServerName“\rpc (Default Web Site)” -ExternalClientAuthenticationMethod basic –InternalClientAuthenticationMethod ntlm -IISAuthenticationMethods Basic, Ntlm, Negotiate
This worked. Internal uses NTLM and external uses BASIC. External it autodiscovered and then It did prompt me once for the password when setting up the external outlook profile. Must enter username if format: Username@InternalDomainName.local. It did not seem to like DomainName\Username
I am using the same name space for internal and external.
That’s somewhat related to what I found. I found that the RPC directory in iis only had basic enabled, once I added Windows auth there, it worked straight away. But Exchange reset those auth mechanism after a while. That might not be an issue if you set different auth mechanisms.
So you may be on to something there. Obviously this is a bug or a design flaw though.
The hotfix did resolve the issue.
Excellent! Thanks for the input 🙂
Just wish to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is simply cool and i could assume you’re an expert
on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to
keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a
million and please keep up the rewarding work.
Greetings from California! I’m bored at work so I decided to check out your
site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you present here
and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my phone ..
I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, very good blog!
A new differenza di dalam altri giochi, Albero Beachfront richiede diamanti e altre risorse
I savour, cause I found exactly what I was taking a look for.
You have ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day.
Oral pathology in the attribute of mutational signs of individual or added tumors.
Fruits and vegetables are high in vitamin A and C and are good choices for
a beautiful smile. The dental pulp also contains the small arteries, lymphatic veins, glasses
and specialized cells cells.